Saturday, April 2, 2011

stretching yoga style

My friend Lara asked me the other day what kind of yoga I practice and it got me to thinking....
I don't really "do" yoga unless I am hitting up a hot yoga class with Brooke, but I stretch a LOT and I love stretching and I think most of the stretches I do are similar to doing a Sun Salutation...
So this weekend in Tremblant I saluted the SUN from the rock above the lake. bliss.
 I love "yoga-style-stretching" because I really makes you pause and embrace the stretch.  No rushing and no sudden movements.  It all flows together as you slowly feel your muscles loosen.
 AND since I will be on crutches for the next little while I decided to go outside and take some pics on this sunny day in Tremblant.
PLANK!!! I am a wanna-be pro.
 Running from the camera (as the timer beeped down with only 10 seconds to spare) to the rock and then into a stretch was not ideal!! I need a friend! haha  
 Lot's of emphasis on "cobra" since it's one of those stretches that releases a lot of my hip tension.
 I decided to lake was WAY too bright of a background to work with, so I climbed onto this rock in the woods for a few more poses!
 I love this.  back, neck, hamstrings, shoulders, glutes....i feel it everywhere as a gradual pull on these muscles that get tired out from me sitting here blogging! ha.
 A woodpecker scared me!!! And the timer just kept taking pics.... 
Anyway, sorry to any of you pro yogi's that know my technique is far from pro, but stretching makes me feel good and the idea of yoga inspires me to try to make it all flow. I need to go see Yasmin and become legit!!! 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna – I can do the stretch shown in the upper left corner of the first photo (collage):) Yoga is a great stretching influence, but with some caution on the potential hypermobility created in the back. From James Wilson (bikejames.com): “…not all joints are supposed to be mobile and flexible…When you look at the human body and how it is designed to function you see that we have a series of stable and mobile joints stacked on top of each other. In a nutshell, you want stable feet – mobile ankles – stable knees – mobile hips – stable lumbar spine – mobile thoracic spine- stable shoulders. Joints like the knees, lumbar spine (low back) and shoulders are easily injured if they move too much. Weak feet, caused by the modern athletic shoe, is one of the main causes of lower body orthopedic issues but that is a subject for another post…You want your core to stabilize the lower back and resist movement, not help create movement…Same with the shoulders...”

    As Olympic level athlete, you probably know all this...just a caution to those who might get overly inspired by your blog (and who wouldn't!). Whatever the influence, please don't stop with the stretching photos! Good to see the rehab coming along so well.

    PS - sorry for the previous delete--spelling mistakes I can live with, but not when it is your name! Bad Fan:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes I agree!!
    I am definitely hyper-mobile!
    Thanks for the comments!! I'm for sure not trying to teach yoga or anything, just enjoying the outdoors with some of the activities I am still allowed to do with rehab!!! Stretching's been a big part of that and I think one of my summer goals will to become a better yoga person! ha!

    ReplyDelete