Thursday, June 3, 2010

Bruce Lee inspiration.

I saw this inspirational Bruce Lee story today and thought I would share it.  I feel like this is a good reminder to not let your mind decide what your limits are, but to continue to try to push yourself with an open mind and body to go as far as you can go.  Since tearing my knee and having all this rehab to do, the little things that nag at the back of my mind thinking that maybe I can't yet do certain things are what hold me back. A week ago I didn't think I could jog, but I was so bored of walking on the treadmill that I left Marco's house and came back twenty minutes later with the biggest smile on my face!  I could probably walk faster than I was jogging, BUT I was still out there in the fresh air doing something new!  The next time I went I got to 35 minutes, and I just got back from a 45 minute jog.  Each time feeling better, and stronger, and more confident that my knee can do more than I "think".  I met up with MP and Britt yesterday to workout together, and I again surprised myself by just trying things and not doubting myself and my knee.  No doubts+ no hesitation= lots of confidence! I have been getting my full flexion almost everyday since a week ago when I didn't even know it was possible for me to get there!! (thanks Ladd!!!)  And the same story with road biking, mountain biking, weight lifting etc.!  As long as I feel solid and have no pain, the sky is the limit!! There are times when I definitely can't do certain things because of my knee, and I am following the "acl protocol", but once I am in the clear from my physio's to do something new, it's really exciting for me to realize and experience my knee slowly getting stronger and back to normal.   Although these are "baby steps", to me they feel like MILES! yay!
So, here's to a summer with no limits and levels exceeded! Bruce Lee style!  But less aggressive. haha. (i am for sure not trying to live up to a 5 minute mile or anything, but by taking steps in the right direction and pushing my body beyond where my mind thinks it can go seems like a pretty cool goal for the summer.)  Next time I am complaining about being too hot or too tired on a mountain bike ride I will think of Bruce Lee.

No comments:

Post a Comment