Tuesday, July 20, 2010

RECIPES!

Since arriving back in Truckee, I have been re-inspired to cook!!
Plus, I got my Real Simple magazine in the mail, and it had so many tempting recipes that I could not resist trying this one!
It was REAL SIMPLE...ha ha. no joke, it took me about 20 minutes with everything to make... and YUMMY!!! Super tasty, BUT I added half a red onion, half a cup of chopped fresh mint, and half a cup of chopped fresh cilantro!  

And I tried to make mine look like the magazine picture!! hahaha. I slightly burnt one... whatev. Oh ya and I used Quinoa instead of couscous. 

And then today, I had an INDIAN FOOD craving so I made Anne Lindsay's "Curried Lentils with Coriander!" DELICIOUS!!!
To make this (with chicken added)

  • 2 cups green lentils ( I only used about one cup in the end because I didn't want it to be overly lentil-ly)
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 medium onions chopped
  • 1 tsp each of ground ginger, coriander, cumin and turmeric
  • 1tsp minced fresh garlic
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 whole cloves
  • 3 whole cardamom
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 cup chopped tomatoes
  • 1/3 cup chopped green onions
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
OK, lots of ingredients and slightly more complicated than the salmon patties.

Anyway cook the lentils until tender and then drain...(30 minutes-ish)
MEANWHILE
In a large saucepan over medium heat combine oil, onions, ginger, coriander, cumin, turmeric, garlic, salt, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and red pepper flakes.  Cook for about 10 minutes, or until onions are softened.
Add tomatoes and drained lentils, simmer over low heat for a few minutes, discard cloves and cardamom, and then stir in green onions and coriander.

It took a little while for the prep and everything, but it's so yummy!  I added the cooked chicken in along with the lentils and tomatoes, but it was actually written as a veggie recipe in Anne Lindsay's cookbook.
enjoy!
And enjoy the garden!! There's new flowers popping up every month here!! 
And finally, here's a shout-out to these hilarious fun girls who I danced the night away with before leaving Tremblant!
GOOD TIMES at the caribou!
And Good times at the gym lately... I've been feeling great and I'm back onto a consistent and challenging program that keeps my knee feeling good and strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment