Monday, January 4, 2010

another one bites the dust

First off, I would like that thank EVERYONE for all the well wishes and letters of support.  Each one means a lot to me and is making this whole process a lot easier!!!  I am a slow responder but I am pretty sure that once I am home I will have ample time to write everyone their own personal novel.

but anyway...

I was having a pretty great run in Zagreb until right before the finish line I fell and heard/felt a huge pop in my right knee and knew right away that my season was over. The hardest thing about getting injured right now is accepting that I will be missing the Olympics. I'm not worried about my skiing, I know it's good and can be just as good when I get back, and I understand that injuries can happen to anyone anytime and I have always known that it could be me.... I just can't believe that its NOW! I've never gone to the Olympics since I was not skiing fast enough 4 years ago, and now that I am skiing fast enough and made the criteria for the Canadian Olympic team, I cannot believe that it's been taken away from me. I've accepted the injury and everything that is about to come with it, but it's hard to accept missing what I thought would be a really exciting point in my life. I guess now I have 4 years to work towards being even better for Russia in 2014. And I have a LOT of teammates in the same boat as me, so at least I'll have friends to hang with!

The hardest part of yesterday was the initial shock of the injury and the end of this season; and the hardest part today was saying goodbye to my team.. I hate leaving them behind since they are my unconditional family and I love them and being with all of them and everything about being on the road with them.
Those two hard parts are over, and I already know that tomorrow will be better since I get to go home to my real family and start figuring all of this out with their love and support.

I'll keep you posted.

This was the HIGHLIGHT of the worst day of my year so far..... We stole the wheelchair from the Croatian hospital since they had NO crutches and no stores were open because it was sunday. I almost peed in my pants laughing so hard at Craig trying to be sly about loading that piece of junk into the back of our van!! hahaah
EDIT******AND WE RETURNED IT within 12 hours.... no real stealing, just "borrowing..."



And this is what an almost top ten run looks like, but instead it is what tearing a bunch of ligaments in your knee looks like...

7 comments:

  1. yuck that made me sick to my stomach :( lots of hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anna,

    As a fan of the Canadian ski team, I'm super bummed to hear the news, but glad that you'll be bringing that awesome optimism into the Alpine Canada injury ward.

    Remember, sometimes when you Give'r, something has to give.

    Keep the blog going. This adversity stuff'll make the future success entries even more compelling to read.

    Jarrod

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for you. :(

    I found your blog a few days ago, and had to read it all in one sitting. Love your photos and writing! I also hope that you will keep this blog going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about your knee. How tough can it be - so close and to have the door slammed in your face. Keep up your great blog and I look forward to seeing lots of photos. Like how's about staying awake during the surgery and snapping photos of the entire procedure!
    Cyber hugs Wilma

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry that your season had to end so soon :( I'm looking forward to watching you come back better than ever for 2014! Your writing and pictures are awesome! I hope that I'll be able to make it to the Olympics one day too so they keep me inspired. Hope to see you cheering on Canada in Vancouver :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, Mark, Sophie, Matthew from Toronto!January 7, 2010 at 12:06 PM

    Anna:
    We were so sorry to hear about your injury in Zagreb - look forward to meeting up with you when visiting Mt Tremblant sometime. Sophie keeps your photo in her room. You're are a great inspiration and we love your blog and photos!
    Take care and get better soon.

    ReplyDelete